Definition of stoker in English:
1A person who tends the furnace on a steamship or steam train.
- An example is the Yemeni community of South Shields, which began at the end of the 19th century when Yemenis working as stokers on steamships moved ashore and set up boarding houses in the dock area.
- ‘I deeply respect the stokers and sailors who are below decks working in the most oppressive and most demanding conditions,’ he said.
- Forty cooks will prepare her meals, 120 divers will serve her, 200 mine warfare ratings, almost 300 stokers - fully 1000 sailors will serve this mighty little ship.
1.1A mechanical device for supplying fuel to a firebox or furnace, especially on a steam locomotive: a mechanical stoker
More example sentences
- New boilers and stokers resulted in a mostly new locomotive.
- A hydro-static lubricator in the cab supplies the booster and the stoker.
- She looked back at her brother who was glaring deadly at the man, he picked up the fire stoker and pointed it at the man, ‘Hurt her, and I will kill you.’
Definition of stoker in:
- US English dictionary