noun (plural stompies)South African • informal
- 1A cigarette butt.More example sentences
- There are even signs to ask smokers, when they go on to the pavement to smoke, not to drop their stompies on the street.
- I must admit that stompies are the rubbish I find the most.
- I must point out that the place was spotless, I didn't see any overflowing dirt bins and papers or even stompies lying around.
- 1.1A half-smoked cigarette kept for later use.More example sentences
- I once burned the tip of my nose lighting up a stompie.
pick up stompies
- Break into a conversation of which one has heard only the end.More example sentences
- Not sure if I was picking up stompies but I thought I heard that there was something of the sort on market?
- I often wonder if people bother to read entire threads of this kind of thing, or just pick up stompies?
Afrikaans, diminutive of stomp 'stump'.