- A small Old World songbird of the thrush family, having bold markings and a call like two stones being knocked together.
More example sentences
- Genus Saxicola, family Turdidae: three or four species, in particular the widespread S. torquata, the male of which has a black head and orange breast
- This companionship extended into early summer when the stonechat family was fed both in and out of the nest by the lonely Dartford.
- Forays off the beaten path led me to a common stonechat, a white wagtail, a plain leaf warbler, and a number of species in the shrike family; great grey shrike, masked shrike, and red-backed shrike.
- Migratory stonechats, Saxicola torquata, established territories as apparent male and female pairs on their wintering grounds in Israel.
More definitions of stonechatDefinition of stonechat in:
- The US English dictionary