- (Of a meteorite) containing appreciable quantities of both rock and iron.More example sentences
- Chondrites are made primarily of rock and so have a lower density than stony-iron meteorites, which contain some metal.
- If sliced, the peridioles are exposed, giving the false impression of a stony-iron meteorite.
nounBack to top
- A stony-iron meteorite.More example sentences
- Material like that of the stony-irons is thought to occur at the core-mantle boundary of the Earth.
- The crust is more prevalent on stones and stony-irons and may have partially flaked off.
- Irons and stony-irons are dense, with up to equal amounts of silicates and iron, and are often irregular in shape.
More definitions of stony-ironDefinition of stony-iron in:
- The US English dictionary