- A sealed tube containing a liquid, the clarity of which was thought to change when storms approach.More example sentences
- Observing the liquid in the storm glass was supposed to indicate changes in the weather.
- If the liquid in this storm glass is clear, the weather should be bright and clear.
- The first storm glasses likely appeared around 1750, but their first documented shipboard use dates to the Beagle's famed 1831-36 circumnavigation.
More definitions of storm glassDefinition of storm glass in:
- The US English dictionary