Definition of stormy petrel in English:
1 dated term for storm petrel.
- It houses Manx shearwaters, herring and black-backed gulls, razorbills, stormy petrels and guillemots as well as puffins.
- Wandering albatrosses, Wilson's stormy petrels, Cape petrels and brown-browed albatrosses kept us entertained us with their flights across the waves.
2A person who delights in conflict or attracts controversy.
- Dhanraj Pillay, the stormy petrel of Indian hockey, came up with the answer, emphasising that players like the young Sandeep Singh should be drafted into the Indian team immediately.
- Clark comes over on television as a square-jawed straight-shooter, not the stormy petrel that the Army knew during 34 years of active duty.
- It is intriguing, to say the least, that Krishna has included Bose, the stormy petrel of the movement who tried to give a new direction to the freedom movement, in the fourth group.
Definition of stormy petrel in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia