(also stottie, stotty cake)
Definition of stotty in English:
noun (plural stotties)[mass noun] Northern English
1A kind of coarse bread made from spare scraps of white dough.
- This causes the stottie to become rather unpleasant and damp.
- She will be able to buy a little more stotty cake and perhaps a bottle of Newcastle brown now and again.
- Stotty is a Geordie expression meaning ‘bounce’, and you may see why it's called stotty bread, stotty cake, or flat cake when you read the recipe.
1.1 [count noun] A soft roll made from coarse bread.
- If you want a sandwich leave the packaged triangle shaped things in London and wait till you get to Newcastle and ask for a filled stottie.
- You can get Brown Ale over here in Alberta, but there are no stotty cakes in Quebec as far as I know
- By the way, the Geordie brekkie of a stotty cake isn't breakfast to us Cumbrians.
of unknown origin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan