Courageous or determined: he was a stout-hearted, even an obstinate man we were both enthusiastic, resolute, and, in our unequal ways, stout-hearted
More example sentences
- She was a wonderful woman, intelligent and stout-hearted.
- Any sallies into Ballyhaunis territory by the St. Colman's lads were usually blunted by the bulwark of the stout-hearted Ballyhaunis defence whose confidence and commitment was never once dented on this occasion.
- In fairness, after again showing their customary and deeply worrying failure to put the opposition away, Galway dug deep to earn a replay against a busy and stout-hearted Dongal team.
brave, determined, full of determination, courageous, bold, plucky, spirited, valiant, valorous, gallant, fearless, undaunted, dauntless, doughty, unafraid, intrepid, manly, heroic, lionhearted;
North American rock-ribbed
- Example sentences
- In the past, many in America spent their money stout-heartedly thus, stimulating and cranking up the economy.
- Most Mormons bore the hardships of the frontier stout-heartedly, even cheerfully.
- Sometimes I know that I am to be punished for the villainy I have committed, and it would be only just for me to accept that stout-heartedly.
- Example sentences
- To do that for the sake of corporate stout-heartedness is, I think, the acme of what Aristotle meant by virtue.
- The January-February floods demonstrate the capacity of our people for resilience, stout-heartedness, imagination, innovation and planning, in responding to a national crisis.
- The qualities he then displayed of stout-heartedness and independence he retained through his life and by his example he often infused them into those he had the opportunity of helping when in difficult circumstances.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: stout-hearted
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.