- 1An apparatus for cooking or heating that operates by burning fuel or using electricity.More example sentences
- There are children out there that don't know you can buy the actual kernels and pop them, in a pan, on the stove.
- Remove it from the stove and strain out the mint, then pour it over the fruit and chill for several hours.
- It's very cold in the winter and the school only has wood-burning stoves.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 2Treat (an object) by heating it in a stove in order to apply a desired surface coating.More example sentences
- After coating, the item is stoved at fairly high temperatures, generally 150-180°C, when the powder melts and flows out to a level, integral coating.
Middle English (in the sense 'sweating room'): from Middle Dutch or Middle Low German stove; perhaps related to the noun stew1. Current verb senses date from the early 17th century.