Definition of straight-line in English:
1Containing, characterized by, or relating to straight lines or motion in a straight line: a straight-line graph the Porsche’s straight-line stability
More example sentences
- Tracing the light back as a straight-line path, it appears to us that the star has shifted its position in the celestial sky.
- Circular, rather than straight-line motion was the natural state of the Aristotelian celestial world.
- Drive comfort has been helped by the specially adjusted chassis to cope with European roads, fitted with stout anti-roll bars and a wide track, so maintaining a straight-line stability.
2 Finance Relating to a method of depreciation allocating a given percentage of the cost of an asset each year for a fixed period.
- Depreciation is provided on the straight-line method over the estimated useful lives of the assets.
- The tax code allows for both straight-line depreciation and an accelerated cost recovery system.
- Five-year straight-line depreciation is applied to the equipment.
Definition of straight-line in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia