(Especially of a young person) big and strong: they had three strapping sons
More example sentences
- It was a very difficult time, but they are both strong strapping children now.
- You know the type: big strapping dude, centre of attention, the person everyone looks to for approval and the one without whom nothing important ever happens.
- Jack, a tall strapping man, was a hurler of note, captaining Kilgarvan when they were defeated by a disputed point by a Tralee team led by John Joe Sheehy in the 1918 final, played late in 1919.
1Adhesive plaster for binding injured parts of the body.
- Initial treatment options for heel pain caused by plantar fasciitis include anti-inflammatory medications, padding and strapping of the foot, and physical therapy.
- That limping at the end of races and the fact that he wears black strapping - similar to that once used by athletes to ease the cursed runner's knee - has left fans somewhat mystified for he has refused to dwell on the matter.
- Early indications are that McAteer has strained medial ligaments in his left knee but despite the midfielder later admitting he was ‘a bit sore’ he was able to limp on the Ireland team bus with heavy strapping.
1.1Strips of leather or pliable metal used to hold, strengthen, or fasten something.
- Do not use thin wire, metal or plastic strapping, or other material that could seriously cut you if you fell against it hard enough.
- The hilt was of black leather strapping and silver was used for the crosspiece.
- Tie-down straps were run over the cans and the excess strapping was used to put an extra turn in the tie-down ratchet.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.