- 1A slow Scottish dance.More example sentences
- As a young officer in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, he became adept at reels, strathspeys and sword dances.
- Examples are too numerous to mention, but from reels to strathspeys, fast or slow, he always convinces.
- Six men opened the suite with the McKenzie of Seaforth strathspey, requiring the alternate beating of the calves by feet shod in ghillies and the arms en haut.
- 1.1A piece of music for a strathspey, typically in four-four time.More example sentences
- So the sound of Gaelic songs and marches, strathspeys and reels were a daily occurrence throughout my childhood.
- Reels and jigs, marches and waltzes, strathspeys, airs and hornpipes flow once the guests are lubricated with a drop of the hard stuff.
- When I was there the fiddler was a septuagenarian named John MacDougal, who sat straight up in a plain chair and rasped out jigs, reels, strathspeys and airs with solemnity worthy of a judge.
mid 18th century: from Strathspey, the name of the valley of the River Spey.
More definitions of strathspeyDefinition of strathspey in:
- The US English dictionary