- Cloud forming a continuous horizontal grey sheet, often with rain or snow: the weather was lousy, with low stratus and poor visibility [as modifier]: stratus cloudMore example sentences
- In summer, Arctic Ocean packice cover is incomplete and heavily puddled, which maintains a constant layer of stratus and stratocumulus cloud cover.
- The sky, a gloomy purple, was overlapped by stratus sheets of blue-black clouds.
- The first sign that this is occurring would be the sight of a bank of Cirrus, followed by a bank of medium level clouds, and then thicker stratus clouds.
early 19th century: modern Latin, from Latin, literally 'strewn', past participle of sternere.
More definitions of stratusDefinition of stratus in:
- The US English dictionary