Definition of strawberry in English:
noun (plural strawberries)
1A sweet soft red fruit with a seed-studded surface.
- If you take soft fruit such as strawberries and cherries, protect them from the rigours of the road and from too much warmth.
- Invest in a set of small plastic boxes for chopped fresh fruit, strawberries, grapes or cherries.
- Ripening could also be controlled in strawberries and most citrus fruits, which do not respond to the chemical.
2The low-growing plant which produces the strawberry, having white flowers, lobed leaves, and runners, and found throughout north temperate regions.
- Genus Fragaria, family Rosaceae; the commercial strawberry is usually F. × ananassa
- It's exciting to see the strawberry plants thriving and flowering.
- Red clover flowers, strawberry leaves and comfrey leaves help to mend damaged cells, including chaffed or wind-blown skin.
- At this point, plant a strawberry or other plant in that ‘pocket’.
3 [mass noun] A deep pinkish-red colour: [as modifier]: she thought she would wear the strawberry crushed velvet
More example sentences
- Lord Winston's children were twins, a boy, Jonathan, and girl, Elizabeth, both with strawberry hair and deep blue eyes.
- Colours ranged from elegant steel grey to luscious strawberry red.
- Glancing over he saw small curled strands of strawberry coloured hair trailing from the opening in the hood.
Words that rhyme with strawberrySalisbury
Definition of strawberry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.