Definition of strenuous in English:
Requiring or using great effort or exertion: the government made strenuous efforts to upgrade the quality of the teaching profession
More example sentences
- He will make strenuous efforts to make sure that no criminal act on the inside, or the outside, can be traced back to him.
- To mitigate this perception, strenuous efforts are being made to engage local people.
- It is also making strenuous efforts to recruit new staff and train unqualified employees.
arduous, difficult, hard, tough, taxing, demanding, exacting, uphill, stiff, formidable, heavy, exhausting, tiring, fatiguing, gruelling, back-breaking, murderous, punishing
informal no picnic, killing
British informal knackering
vigorous, energetic, active, enthusiastic, keen, zealous, forceful, strong, Herculean, spirited, dynamic, intense, determined, resolute, tenacious, tireless, stout, indefatigable, unremitting, dogged, pertinacious
- Example sentences
- It's hard to think of anyone else who's laboured as strenuously to make the case for war.'
- They strenuously deny it would attract problem drinkers.
- Jackson strenuously denied the charge and was acquitted.
- Example sentences
- His preferred terms of admiration reflect the Victorian preoccupation with ‘character’, inflected perhaps by his endorsement of strenuousness as the essential ingredient of moral heroism.
- It is also important to repeatedly remind participants to watch for overheating during the cardiovascular segment of the class - the water's coolness keeps the heart rate lower and can mask the strenuousness of the exercise.
- Although secretly piqued by Jake's comments and judgment, Luke decided that the current situation didn't need extra strenuousness.
Early 17th century: from Latin strenuus 'brisk' + -ous.
Words that rhyme with strenuousingenuous, tenuous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.