- An African plant with funnel-shaped flowers which are typically pink, white, or violet, cultivated as indoor or greenhouse plants. Also called Cape primrose.
More example sentences
- Genus Streptocarpus, family Gesneriaceae
- Jim Ellis, an expert in growing streptocarpus has won prizes for his plants at the country's top gardening shows and has just developed a new hybrid of the flower.
- When growing indoors under controlled conditions, many streptocarpuses may bloom continuously given the proper conditions and if leaf and plant growth continues.
- I have also bred other ornamentals, including daylilies, streptocarpuses, nasturtiums, and several kinds of poppies.
modern Latin, from strepto- 'twisted' + Greek karpos 'fruit'.