noun (plural striata /strʌɪˈeɪtə/)Anatomy
Short for corpus striatum.
- Men who responded to fluoxetine, in addition, showed changes in certain lower brain areas - brainstem, hippocampus, striatum and anterior insula.
- The principal mesencephalic projection to the striatum originates from the substantia nigra pars compacta.
- Instead, the brain showed neuronal loss, gliosis, and glial cytoplasmic inclusions in the striatum and substantia nigra, leading to the diagnosis of striatonigral degeneration.
- Example sentences
- Patients on active medication who failed to improve did not sustain the brainstem, striatal and hippocampus changes unique to antidepressant responders.
- At autopsy, the brain showed mild basal ganglia atrophy and substantia nigra depigmentation, with extensive striatal and substantia nigral neuronal loss and astrogliosis.
- The placebo induced a significant release of dopamine from the damaged striatal neurons, detectable by positron emission tomography.
Definition of striatum in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.