- Many Iraqis hope that it will head off sectarian strife and even civil war.
- Others said Allah was angry that Muslims were killing Muslims in ongoing civil strife.
- Plainly, this kind of guarantee is socially divisive, a recipe for religious controversy if not civil strife.
- If the labour market doesn't evolve to accommodate the needs of working mothers, there will be strife at home.
- But even so, Fan says an atmosphere of strife and polarisation remains in the society at large.
- One of these days my lack of shame is going to get me into strife.
Middle English: shortening of Old French estrif (related to Old French estriver 'strive').
strive from Middle English:
Strive and strife both come from shortened forms of Old French estriver ‘strive’. As well as expressing conflict, the word in early examples meant ‘striving together’.
Words that rhyme with strifefife, Fyfe, knife, life, pro-life, rife, still-life, wife
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: strife
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.