A person who is in control of events or other people’s actions: Lynch was the main string-puller, nailing the last-minute point that ensured victory
More example sentences
- Would he even exist politically without his controversial political consultant and lobbying string puller?
- If the elite press and its string pullers have decided that the political mood is conservative, the last thing I want to do is accommodate it.
- A dishonest MP can lose his seat on the whim of his electorate; not his party's string-pullers.
- More example sentences
- There was a good deal of bribery, corruption, and string-pulling as influential parents strove to ensure that their own children would receive favourable attention from teachers.
- Even in her best work manipulative string-pulling is evident.
- After some string-pulling, he was finally admitted to the emergency ward of one of these government hospitals.