Definition of string-puller in English:
A person who is in control of events or other people’s actions: Lynch was the main string-puller, nailing the last-minute point that ensured victory
More example sentences
- Would he even exist politically without his controversial political consultant and lobbying string puller?
- If the elite press and its string pullers have decided that the political mood is conservative, the last thing I want to do is accommodate it.
- A dishonest MP can lose his seat on the whim of his electorate; not his party's string-pullers.
- Example sentences
- There was a good deal of bribery, corruption, and string-pulling as influential parents strove to ensure that their own children would receive favourable attention from teachers.
- Even in her best work manipulative string-pulling is evident.
- After some string-pulling, he was finally admitted to the emergency ward of one of these government hospitals.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan