A person who is in control of events or other people’s actions: Lynch was the main string-puller, nailing the last-minute point that ensured victory
More example sentences
- As the string-puller, he frequently flies between the two countries.
- She acted as patron to many emerging politicians, was an unflagging correspondent, and a relentless string-puller.
- While only time will tell if he is right, it means the end of Beckham as United's midfield string-puller.
- Example sentences
- Even in her best work manipulative string-pulling is evident.
- After some string-pulling, he was finally admitted to the emergency ward of one of these government hospitals.
- A youngster during the Revolution, family string-pulling made him a captain in the French army by 20 and brigadier-general four years later.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.