Definition of strobila in English:
noun (plural strobilae strəˈbʌɪlʌɪstrəˈbʌɪliː)Zoology
1The segmented part of the body of a tapeworm that consists of a long chain of proglottids.
- The youngest portion of the strobila is just behind the neck, while the oldest portion is at the posterior end of the body.
- The strobila is made up of anywhere from a few to more than one thousand proglottids but usually contains several dozen.
- Worms, recovered by chemotherapy with niclosamide, consisted of 32 strobilae.
- Example sentences
- Collectively, these studies indicate that iodinated organic compounds, such as thyroxine, can affect strobilation and mineralization in cnidarians.
- A temperature drop from 15 to 10° induces strobilation of polyps of Aurelia aurita from the North Sea.
- This species reproduces through strobilation, similar to most other jellies, but with varying seasonality.
Definition of strobila in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan