Definition of strobila in English:
noun (plural strobilae strəˈbʌɪlʌɪstrəˈbʌɪliː)Zoology
1The segmented part of the body of a tapeworm that consists of a long chain of proglottids.
- The youngest portion of the strobila is just behind the neck, while the oldest portion is at the posterior end of the body.
- The strobila is made up of anywhere from a few to more than one thousand proglottids but usually contains several dozen.
- Worms, recovered by chemotherapy with niclosamide, consisted of 32 strobilae.
- Example sentences
- Collectively, these studies indicate that iodinated organic compounds, such as thyroxine, can affect strobilation and mineralization in cnidarians.
- A temperature drop from 15 to 10° induces strobilation of polyps of Aurelia aurita from the North Sea.
- This species reproduces through strobilation, similar to most other jellies, but with varying seasonality.
Definition of strobila in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.