Definition of strobilus in English:
noun (plural strobili ˈstrəʊbɪlʌɪˈstrəʊbɪliː)Botany
1The cone of a pine, fir, or other conifer.
- Immature female and male strobili cones were harvested from a 40-year-old Norway spruce tree, 2 weeks prior to pollen release.
- At the tips of reproductive branches are the ‘cones,’ or strobili, which consist of tightly packed appendages called sporangiophores.
- Note that this is a strobilus with possible homology to the ovule-bearing cone of conifers.
1.1A cone-like structure, such as the flower of the hop.
- While many lycophytes have their sporophylls scattered along their stem, most produce them in a strobilus.
- Unlike most seed plants, however, the pollen and ovule-bearing organs are usually produced together in a bisporangiate strobilus called a flower.
Words that rhyme with strobilusobelus
Definition of strobilus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan