- A calcareous mound built up of layers of lime-secreting cyanobacteria and trapped sediment, found in Precambrian rocks as the earliest known fossils, and still being formed in lagoons in Australasia.More example sentences
- The formation has yielded numerous fossils of stromatolites in addition to microfossils.
- Fossilized cyanobacterial mounds are called stromatolites.
- At first sight, the Shark Bay stromatolites look like rocks lying in an orderly fashion in the intertidal zone.
1930s: from modern Latin stroma, stromat- 'layer, covering' + -lite.
More definitions of stromatoliteDefinition of stromatolite in:
- The US English dictionary