noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- Strontium oxide, a white solid resembling quicklime.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: SrO
- Nearly two decades later, Davy showed that strontia was a compound of a metal and oxygen, a metal to which the name strontium was then given.
- Baryta, lime, and strontia behave in the same way.
- The correctness of the rate of solubility of the strontia carbonate as given by Bineau is thus confirmed.
early 19th century: from earlier strontian, denoting native strontium carbonate from Strontian, a parish in the Highland region of Scotland, where it was discovered.
More definitions of strontiaDefinition of strontia in:
- The US English dictionary