Definition of structuralism in English:
1A method of interpretation and analysis of aspects of human cognition, behaviour, culture, and experience, which focuses on relationships of contrast between elements in a conceptual system.
- His work fuses elements of American structuralism, the narrative avant-garde and experimental documentary.
- Poststructuralism is beyond structuralism and focuses on ‘social discourses’ that shape meaning within the reader's mind.
- The methods of structuralism and poststructuralism have been beneficial to the study of visual material in various respects.
1.1The doctrine that structure is more important than function.
- Until the 1960s this remained the intellectual agenda of U.S. anthropology, which largely ignored the emergence of both functionalism and structuralism in Europe.
- There was an immediate affinity between the two, since in France structuralism represented a revolt against the existentialist idea of the self.
- Instead, he mobilizes the logical modalities for his eliminative structuralism.
structuralist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Said remarked that structuralists stood at ‘the beginning of a new era’.
- As one of theater's finest structuralists, Cooney writes plays that are a maze of interrelated elements.
- ‘He was a poet rather than a rigid structuralist like the pure modernists,’ Bell said.
Definition of structuralism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan