Definition of structuralism in English:
1A method of interpretation and analysis of aspects of human cognition, behaviour, culture, and experience, which focuses on relationships of contrast between elements in a conceptual system.
- His work fuses elements of American structuralism, the narrative avant-garde and experimental documentary.
- Poststructuralism is beyond structuralism and focuses on ‘social discourses’ that shape meaning within the reader's mind.
- The methods of structuralism and poststructuralism have been beneficial to the study of visual material in various respects.
1.1The doctrine that structure is more important than function.
- Until the 1960s this remained the intellectual agenda of U.S. anthropology, which largely ignored the emergence of both functionalism and structuralism in Europe.
- There was an immediate affinity between the two, since in France structuralism represented a revolt against the existentialist idea of the self.
- Instead, he mobilizes the logical modalities for his eliminative structuralism.
- Example sentences
- Said remarked that structuralists stood at ‘the beginning of a new era’.
- As one of theater's finest structuralists, Cooney writes plays that are a maze of interrelated elements.
- ‘He was a poet rather than a rigid structuralist like the pure modernists,’ Bell said.
Pronunciation: /ˈstrʌktʃ(ə)r(ə)lɪst/noun& adjective
Definition of structuralism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.