- (On a square-rigged sailing ship) an additional sail set at the end of a yard in light winds.More example sentences
- Her fore topmasts and yards, studdingsail booms and yards, jibbooms and entire mizzen masts were shot away.
- This means that the reef can be shaken out, the royals and studdingsails can be set.
- After they passed us by, we set the studdingsail again and continued on our way.
mid 16th century: studding perhaps from Middle Low German, Middle Dutch stōtinge 'a thrusting'.
More definitions of studdingsailDefinition of studdingsail in:
- The US English dictionary