Definition of stumper in English:
1chiefly North American A puzzling question: this one’s a stumper
More example sentences
- Although the idea for the Lachine Canal dates back to the earliest days of the ancien régime in New France, getting the project going was a real stumper.
- Here's a stumper - if a graffiti artist takes can to canvas, not train car, and hangs it in a gallery, is it still graffiti?
- To this question, I quickly replied the first thing that came to my head - the age-old stumper, ‘Can God create a rock he cannot lift?’
2 Cricket A wicketkeeper.
- However, what his detractors always ignore is that Chris Read, the superior stumper but infinitely inferior batsman, was not infallible with gloves on.
- Ajay Ratra, one of India's young wicket-keeping options, will be India's stumper on this tour.
- Bombay and India stumper, Madhav Mantri, impressed by his enthusiasm, arranged to send him to school.
Definition of stumper in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan