Definition of stumper in English:
1chiefly North American A puzzling question: this one’s a stumper
More example sentences
- Although the idea for the Lachine Canal dates back to the earliest days of the ancien régime in New France, getting the project going was a real stumper.
- Here's a stumper - if a graffiti artist takes can to canvas, not train car, and hangs it in a gallery, is it still graffiti?
- To this question, I quickly replied the first thing that came to my head - the age-old stumper, ‘Can God create a rock he cannot lift?’
2 Cricket A wicketkeeper.
- However, what his detractors always ignore is that Chris Read, the superior stumper but infinitely inferior batsman, was not infallible with gloves on.
- Ajay Ratra, one of India's young wicket-keeping options, will be India's stumper on this tour.
- Bombay and India stumper, Madhav Mantri, impressed by his enthusiasm, arranged to send him to school.
Definition of stumper in:
- US English dictionary