Definition of stupefactive in English:
(Of a drug) inducing unconsciousness or insensibility.
- Nurses are too apt, for their own ease, to cherish the sleepy disposition of infants, and to increase it by various things of a stupefactive quality.
- In lock jaw, and in all convulsive conditions in which opium is prescribed in stupefactive doses.
- These wines were stupefactive, because they produce forgetfulness.
nounBack to top
A drug which induces unconsciousness or insensibility.
- Stupefactives induce a kind of drunkenness by the grossness of their vapour.
- Opium, and other strong stupefactives, do coagulate the spirit, and deprive it of the motion.
- Many accidents have arisen from its too general use as a stupefactive for infants.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan