- (Of a drug) inducing unconsciousness or insensibility.More example sentences
- Nurses are too apt, for their own ease, to cherish the sleepy disposition of infants, and to increase it by various things of a stupefactive quality.
- In lock jaw, and in all convulsive conditions in which opium is prescribed in stupefactive doses.
- These wines were stupefactive, because they produce forgetfulness.
nounBack to top
- A drug which induces unconsciousness or insensibility.More example sentences
- Stupefactives induce a kind of drunkenness by the grossness of their vapour.
- Opium, and other strong stupefactives, do coagulate the spirit, and deprive it of the motion.
- Many accidents have arisen from its too general use as a stupefactive for infants.