A state of near-unconsciousness or insensibility: a drunken stupor
More example sentences
- The three boys discovered Mr Smith in a drunken stupor, sleeping on a barrel by the garage on Trowbridge Road.
- Police found him at the flat, almost naked and in a drunken stupor.
- He finds John in a drunken stupor in bed with this girl, and drags him off.
- Example sentences
- His stuporous singing and the farting horn sounds on ‘Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah’ don't stop the song from rocking.
- In extreme cases they can appear stuporous or catatonic.
- The physician tried to interview him, but Joseph was stuporous, so his brother recounted the dying man's story.
Late Middle English: from Latin, from stupere 'be amazed or stunned'.
Words that rhyme with stuporblooper, cooper, Cowper, duper, grouper, Hooper, looper, pea-souper, pupa, scooper, snooper, stupa, super, trooper, trouper, whooper
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: stu¦por
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.