noun (plural sties)
A pigsty: figurative the place is a real sty, beer and wine bottles all over the place
More example sentences
- It was a complete sty; papers littered the ground, dirty dishes were in the sink, and the windows were covered with a grimy film.
- I'm gonna catch a disease with my clothes torn, my body sweating and now, having to crawl through an absolute sty of filth!
verb (sties, stying, stied)[with object] archaic Back to top
noun (plural sties or styes)
An inflamed swelling on the edge of an eyelid, caused by bacterial infection of the gland at the base of an eyelash.
- Usually the staphylococcal bacteria are not concentrated enough to do any harm, but sometimes they pass deeper into the skin to cause boils, abscesses, styes and carbuncles.
- A stye is an infection of a tear gland at the edge of the eyelid.
- A stye is caused by infection of a gland at the base of one or more eyelashes.
early 17th century: from dialect styany, from styan (from Old English stīgend 'riser') + eye.