Definition of styptic in English:
(Of a substance) capable of causing bleeding to stop when it is applied to a wound.
- I did dog rescue work for 13 years and one of the vets we use suggested that when we trim the dogs nails that we trim them just a bit shorter than you are supposed to and apply styptic powder.
- In the event that too ambitious trimming results in bleeding, styptic powder should be applied to the wounded nail.
- Her set ended abruptly when she sang her last lyric and stomped offstage, knocking over her microphone with the neck of her guitar in a final, styptic clang.
nounBack to top
A styptic substance.
- Upon finding the styptic and bandage, Sautrem concluded the minor operation on his right shoulder.
- She used disinfectant first, then styptic to help stop the bleeding, and then she applied bandages.
Definition of styptic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India