- (Of a substance) capable of causing bleeding to stop when it is applied to a wound.More example sentences
- I did dog rescue work for 13 years and one of the vets we use suggested that when we trim the dogs nails that we trim them just a bit shorter than you are supposed to and apply styptic powder.
- In the event that too ambitious trimming results in bleeding, styptic powder should be applied to the wounded nail.
- Her set ended abruptly when she sang her last lyric and stomped offstage, knocking over her microphone with the neck of her guitar in a final, styptic clang.
nounBack to top
- A styptic substance.More example sentences
- Upon finding the styptic and bandage, Sautrem concluded the minor operation on his right shoulder.
- She used disinfectant first, then styptic to help stop the bleeding, and then she applied bandages.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek stuptikos, from stuphein 'to contract'.
More definitions of stypticDefinition of styptic in:
- The US English dictionary