- A rank of officer in the Royal Navy, above midshipman and below lieutenant.More example sentences
- His promotion to a sub lieutenant, following his completion of the 22-week ‘direct entry’ officer's course last year, dovetails well with the RAN's decision to post navel nurses to warships.
- As a junior sub lieutenant my first front-line tour of duty was with 814 Squadron.
- As the Grafton was scuttled, Mr Kester - who eventually held the rank of sub lieutenant - was transferred to the destroyer Ivanhoe and ended up in Dover.
More definitions of sub lieutenantDefinition of sub lieutenant in:
- The US English dictionary