- (In some Christian Churches) a minister of an order ranking below deacon.More example sentences
- The rest were secular cathedrals, governed by a chapter consisting of a dean and canons whose duty to maintain the Divine Office in choir was carried out by deputies or vicars, normally in priests ’, deacons ’, or subdeacons ' orders.
- Adam A. J. DeVille, a doctoral student at the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute for Eastern Christian Studies at St. Paul University, Ottawa, Canada, is a subdeacon in the Eparchy of Toronto of the Ukrainian Catholic Church.
- Deacons, subdeacons, and readers assist the priests during services.
- More example sentences
- In Rome, after having received the subdiaconate and the diaconate, on the Saturday of Advent, on 23 December 1673, he was ordained a Priest in the Lateran Basilica, at the hands of Mons.
- In the question of the matter and form of this sacrament we must distinguish between the three higher orders and the subdiaconate and minor orders.
- While Vatican Council II was in preparation, many bishops of the Church requested that the minor orders and subdiaconate be revised.
Pronunciation: /-dʌɪˈakəneɪt, -dʌɪˈakənət/noun
More definitions of subdeaconDefinition of subdeacon in:
- The US English dictionary