Definition of subdeacon in English:
(In some Christian Churches) a minister of an order ranking below deacon.
- The rest were secular cathedrals, governed by a chapter consisting of a dean and canons whose duty to maintain the Divine Office in choir was carried out by deputies or vicars, normally in priests ’, deacons ’, or subdeacons ' orders.
- Adam A. J. DeVille, a doctoral student at the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute for Eastern Christian Studies at St. Paul University, Ottawa, Canada, is a subdeacon in the Eparchy of Toronto of the Ukrainian Catholic Church.
- Deacons, subdeacons, and readers assist the priests during services.
- Example sentences
- In Rome, after having received the subdiaconate and the diaconate, on the Saturday of Advent, on 23 December 1673, he was ordained a Priest in the Lateran Basilica, at the hands of Mons.
- In the question of the matter and form of this sacrament we must distinguish between the three higher orders and the subdiaconate and minor orders.
- While Vatican Council II was in preparation, many bishops of the Church requested that the minor orders and subdiaconate be revised.
Pronunciation: /-dʌɪˈakəneɪt, -dʌɪˈakənət/noun
Definition of subdeacon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan