Definition of subduction in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
The sideways and downward movement of the edge of a plate of the earth’s crust into the mantle beneath another plate: [as modifier]: subduction zone
More example sentences
- There are two possible tectonic settings for the deep subduction of Indian Plate continental crust in the early Tertiary.
- The Spontang ophiolitc, for example, is associated with partial subduction of buoyant continental crust.
- These extensional faults were reactivated as reverse faults during Neogene compression associated with subduction beneath the North Island.
- Example sentences
- In the early Himalayan case described here, the driving force would have been slab pull with Indian Plate continental crust and lithospheric mantle being subducted at a steep subduction angle.
- What is the relationship at depth between the inboard strike-slip boundary and the slab subducted at the outboard subduction zone?
- Distinct differences in the seismic reflection waveforms are expected from the subduction megathrust as sediments subduct through significant sediment-to-rock transitions.
1970s: via French from Latin subductio(n-), from subduct- 'drawn from below', from the verb subducere.
Definition of subduction in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.