Definition of subduction in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
The sideways and downward movement of the edge of a plate of the earth’s crust into the mantle beneath another plate: [as modifier]: subduction zone
More example sentences
- There are two possible tectonic settings for the deep subduction of Indian Plate continental crust in the early Tertiary.
- The Spontang ophiolitc, for example, is associated with partial subduction of buoyant continental crust.
- These extensional faults were reactivated as reverse faults during Neogene compression associated with subduction beneath the North Island.
- Example sentences
- In the early Himalayan case described here, the driving force would have been slab pull with Indian Plate continental crust and lithospheric mantle being subducted at a steep subduction angle.
- What is the relationship at depth between the inboard strike-slip boundary and the slab subducted at the outboard subduction zone?
- Distinct differences in the seismic reflection waveforms are expected from the subduction megathrust as sediments subduct through significant sediment-to-rock transitions.
Definition of subduction in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan