noun[mass noun] Botany
- An inert impermeable waxy substance present in the cell walls of corky tissues.More example sentences
- Chemically, apoplastic barriers of roots are depositions of the biopolymers lignin and suberin within the cell wall matrix, which may occlude wall pores previously filled with water.
- Cytochemistry and autofluorescence observations were used to detect the presence of lignin and suberin in unfixed tissues.
- Peroxidases are present in the crease tissue at this time and it has been suggested that they may have a role in the formation of lignin / suberin in the chalazal cell walls.
mid 19th century: from Latin suber 'cork' + -in1.
More definitions of suberinDefinition of suberin in:
- The US English dictionary