Definition of subhuman in English:
1Of a lower order of being than humans.
- I've been in many homes where the cleaning help is treated as subhuman - ordered around, made to eat separately, severely criticized - by the same people arguing adamantly in favor of civil rights.
- Projecting a subhuman image of the opponent in order to legitimize violence and human rights violations is a commonly used psychological tool.
- I would be the first to agree that these liberals have a right to try and retrieve their relatively accurate, highly tarnished satanic and subhuman image.
1.1 Zoology (Of a primate) closely related to humans.
- Instead of a single factor with chemoattractant activity as found with subhuman primate cells and guinea pig cells, two factors were identified that selectively attracted PMNs but not mononuclear cells.
- First, there is no evidence from anthropology or from studies of subhuman primates that a ‘primal horde’ dominated by a single male ever existed.
- Each of the traditions distinguishes between human, as against subhuman life, behavior and animal.
1.2Not worthy of a human being; debased or depraved: he regards all PR people as subhuman
More example sentences
- Though treated as subhuman, peasants were of course neither deaf, dumb, nor incapable of acting on their perceived interests.
- Throughout history, whenever any group has been labelled subhuman, serious abuse has followed.
- He's far from the only general partner to treat limited partners as something subhuman.
nounBack to top
A subhuman creature or person.
- They warn of a ‘self-fulfilling prophesy’: If men are told over and over that they are not only brutal subhumans in general but also hostile to women in particular, they are likely to say, ‘So be it.’
- This terrorism reduced Africans to subhumans whose resources and labor were used to develop foreign countries, which terrorized the African people.
- Attempting to contract with subhumans has predictable consequences, consequences that correspond exactly with attempts to contract with two-legged subhumans.
Definition of subhuman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan