Definition of subjacent in English:
Situated below something else.
- At 187 m, a thin bed of iron-stained quartz sandstone drapes across an irregular surface cut into oolitic dolomitic grainstones that represent the latest phase of the subjacent shallowing record.
- Recent studies proposed that the Cretan detachment is a shallowly north-dipping normal fault, which formed subparallel to the subjacent subduction thrust in the Early Miocene.
- Viral antigen extended, in a time-dependent fashion, from nasal epithelium into the subjacent lamina propria and along olfactory nerves in cells interpreted to be perineural fibroblasts.
- 1subjacency noun
- Example sentences
- Further evidence in favour of the variable analysis comes from the fact that the distribution of null objects is sensitive to subjacency.
- In this paper, we take a similar approach to one of the classic linguistic universals: subjacency.
Late 16th century: from Latin subjacent- 'lying underneath', from sub- 'under' + jacere 'to lie'.
Definition of subjacent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.