Definition of subjacent in English:
Situated below something else.
- At 187 m, a thin bed of iron-stained quartz sandstone drapes across an irregular surface cut into oolitic dolomitic grainstones that represent the latest phase of the subjacent shallowing record.
- Recent studies proposed that the Cretan detachment is a shallowly north-dipping normal fault, which formed subparallel to the subjacent subduction thrust in the Early Miocene.
- Viral antigen extended, in a time-dependent fashion, from nasal epithelium into the subjacent lamina propria and along olfactory nerves in cells interpreted to be perineural fibroblasts.
late 16th century: from Latin subjacent- 'lying underneath', from sub- 'under' + jacere 'to lie'.
- Example sentences
- Further evidence in favour of the variable analysis comes from the fact that the distribution of null objects is sensitive to subjacency.
- In this paper, we take a similar approach to one of the classic linguistic universals: subjacency.
Definition of subjacent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan