- Submerge: pellets were then submersed in agarMore example sentences
- If it's a choice between Sullivan getting his way and submersing my kids in this sort of culture, and Sullivan leaving, then I will bid Sullivan goodbye.
- Our job is to improvise the fifth act by submersing ourselves in the first four acts.
- In his second term, of course, Houdini submersed himself in a padlocked iron cage a mile deep in boiling water and left his fate to a gaggle of witches, a silly young intern, and Inspector Javerts.
adjectiveBotany Back to top
- Denoting or characteristic of a plant growing entirely under water: the submerse form is slender Contrasted with emerse.More example sentences
- Moreover, when flooding results in complete submergence, and in normally submersed aquatic plants, availability to the shoots of carbon dioxide, light and oxygen typically diminish.
- Similarly, effects of submersed aquatic plants on egg distribution and movement have clear counterparts in the dynamics of seeds, where plants can trap seeds as well as influence their germination success.
- The submersed aquatic plant mermaid weed was collected once in 1997.
late Middle English: from Latin submers- 'plunged below', from the verb submergere (see submerge).
More definitions of submerseDefinition of submerse in:
- The US English dictionary