Definition of submucosa in English:
noun (plural submucosaeˌsʌbmjʊːˈkəʊsiː)Physiology
The layer of areolar connective tissue lying beneath a mucous membrane.
- Between the mucosa and muscle layers lies the submucosa, which is rich in blood vessels and connective tissue.
- Beneath the mucosa, there is a loose connective tissue layer called the submucosa.
- Some of the nodules were located in the submucosa beneath areas of mucosal ulceration, but did not show communication with or disruption of the mucosa.
Late 19th century: from modern Latin submucosa (membrana), feminine of submucosus 'submucous'.
- Example sentences
- Biopsies of the pharynx, performed after radiotherapy, showed infiltration of small lymphocytes, plasmacytes, and neutrophils in the submucosal area.
- The cause of death was excessive infusion and absorption of normal saline during hysteroscopic ablation of submucosal leiomyoma for menorrhagia.
- The lesion appeared to be submucosal with an intact submucosa and muscularis propria interface.
Definition of submucosa in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan