Definition of suborbital in English:
1Situated below or behind the orbit of the eye.
- Peripheral blood was collected using a capillary tube from suborbital veins of 5-to 6-week-old mice.
- The most striking features described by this component are a relative deepening of the suborbital head region, shortening of the caudal peduncle, and a dorsad displacement of the pectoral fin.
- The palatines lie between the suborbital fenestrae, with the anterior palatine processes forming a short V-shaped wedge.
2Relating to or denoting a trajectory that does not complete a full orbit of the earth or other celestial body: near the peak of the sub-orbital trajectory the booster fell away
More example sentences
- Less than 10 minutes after lift-off the payload parachuted safely back to Earth, and the suborbital flight was over.
- Through this program, student experiments were selected in January 2002 to fly on either a NASA suborbital sounding rocket in June or a future Space Shuttle mission.
- What kinds of unusual economic trade-offs will future suborbital and orbital spacecraft create?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.