- 1Support (an organization or activity) financially: the mining industry continues to be subsidizedMore example sentences
give money to, pay a subsidy to, give a grant to, contribute to, make a contribution to, invest in, sponsor, fund, finance, provide finance/capital for, capitalize, underwrite; back, support, give support to, keep, help, aid, assist, shore up, prop up, buttress• informal pick up the tab for, foot the bill for, shell out for, fork out for, cough up for, chip in forNorth American • informal bankroll, pony up for
- The Agriculture State Fund subsidises several organic production activities, although there is still no official body which can issue organic production certificates.
- And a proportion of profit from the treks goes into a separate fund to subsidize village activities or be shared amongst villagers.
- It does not make good business sense for the country to have taxpayers subsidize these activities any more than other hobbies.
- 1.1Pay part of the cost of producing (something) to keep the selling price low: (as adjective subsidized) subsidized foodMore example sentences
- When these products are subsidized, they are sold at very low prices on the international market.
- The workers survive by raising rabbits which they sell and they sometimes subsidize their food by going door to door with a basket and asking for donations.
- What better way to make a quick buck than to sell off the government subsidized apartments and turf the 23,000 residents out of house and home?
- More example sentences
- ‘I only wish I could somehow test and comply for alcohol and gambling, too, since there shouldn't be taxpayer subsidization of any of these unnecessary vices,’ Seifert said.
- Their lives are of no consequence, compared to the free markets which would spring forth, along with regulation, taxation, subsidization, and other free institutions like we have here.
- This subsidization of drug companies by the taxpayers became officially sanctioned by Congress in 1980, when the Bayh-Dole Act was passed.
- More example sentences
- Other subsidisers - including the US - would make lower but proportional cuts, the EU proposal said.
- The federal authorities, too, were subsidizers, tolerating the tax arrears of energy supply companies so long as they maintained electricity to non-paying customers, such as military installations or giant employers.
- To survive, all they need do is satisfy their subsidizers (governments and boards of education) and comply with regulations.