noun[mass noun] Ornithology
- Birdsong that is softer and less well defined than the usual territorial song, sometimes heard only at close quarters as a quiet warbling.More example sentences
- In the laboratory, hand-reared birds perform subsong throughout their first autumn and winter.
- Every time the bird compares its own subsong to the memorized template, the syllables most similar to those present in the template become slightly more probable.
- That is, does the bird amplify and modulate the amplitude of subsong primitives, or shorten and protract them, or reorder them, etc.?
More definitions of subsongDefinition of subsong in:
- The US English dictionary