noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A compound thought to be involved in the synaptic transmission of pain and other nerve impulses. It is a polypeptide with eleven amino-acid residues.More example sentences
- When sensory nerve cells are activated, calcium levels inside these cells rise and the neuropeptides, such as substance P and calcitonin gene related peptide are released.
- It's thought that this burning depletes nerve cells of a chemical called substance P, which has a role in transmitting pain messages.
- The heady mixture of sleep deprivation, adrenaline, and substance P plus or minus caffeine makes for a euphoric, addictive cocktail.
More definitions of substance PDefinition of substance P in:
- The US English dictionary