- 1To a great or significant extent: profits grew substantially [as submodifier]: substantially higher pension costsMore example sentences
- We would like to think that we can grow the business substantially.
- These have been set up in a small way now but they can grow substantially.
- However, all the evidence suggests that a modest sum can grow substantially if invested wisely over a long period.
- 2For the most part; essentially: things will remain substantially the same over the next ten yearsMore example sentences
- Although it has remained substantially unaltered since construction, it is now in need of restoration.
- This procedure has remained substantially unchanged for half a century.
- Further aft, the wreck is substantially flattened, but some structure remains.