Definition of subtilize in English:
verb[with object] archaic
Make more subtle; refine: he split and subtilized words
More example sentences
- His first track sets the pace for the entire set, as he subtilizes the high drama of the famous c-sharp minor prelude which has become so hackneyed, often turned into a cartoon of itself owing to its own wide popularity.
- I hope I have made clear that intuitionism on the one hand subtilizes logic, on the other hand denounces logic as a source of truth.
- If one major aspect of Life Studies is this gargantuan appetite for differentiated and subtilised reality - prose again, one might think - it is checked by plot, by theme, by rhythm and, eerily, almost subliminally, by verbal repetitions.
- Example sentences
- Realism itself, therefore, best is seen as an extension and subtilization of this Romantic supertext.
- Not to mention his subtilisation and sublimation of his or her ordinary sense of identity.
- To talk of subtilization thus is to highlight its secondary meaning in its original French, i.e. signifying theft or a spiriting away.
Definition of subtilize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan