noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A crystalline organic acid which occurs in living tissue as an intermediate in glucose metabolism.
- Chemical formula: HOOC(CH2)2COOH
More example sentences
- Like these two principal grape acids, pure succinic acid is a white crystalline solid that is very soluble in water and alcoholic water solutions such as wine.
- This alcohol was then conjugated to one of the COOH groups of succinic acid, forming an ester linkage.
- Cells were then washed twice with distilled water and incubated further for 5 hr in an equal volume of yeast extract-peptone media containing 2% (w/v) glycerol and 1% succinic acid.
late 18th century: succinic from French succinique, from Latin succinum 'amber' (from which it was first derived).
Definition of succinic acid in:
- The US English dictionary