- • informal Behave obsequiously, especially for one’s own advantage: he has risen to where he is mainly by sucking up to the presidentMore example sentences
grovel, creep, toady, be obsequious/servile/sycophantic, kowtow, bow and scrape, play up, truckle; fawn on, curry favour with, dance attendance on• informal bootlick, lick someone's boots, be all over, fall all over, butter up, rub up the right way, keep sweetBritish • vulgar slang lick/kiss someone's arse
- After about a minute of sucking up and butterfly kisses, he gave in.
- Every waiter and waitress sucks up as much as humanly possible, assuming that that's the way to earn a nice gratuity.
- He sucks up to the fat cats; they wrinkle their noses and hand him the check using a pair of tongs.
More definitions of suck upDefinition of suck up in:
- The US English dictionary