Definition of sucker punch in English:
An unexpected punch or blow.
- Pushing ensued and then O'Neal made like the other O'Neal and threw a sucker punch.
- In training camp, he crushed the eyesocket of a teammate with a sucker punch and by the end of the season he was ensnared in the THG drug scandal and contemplating retirement after a series of concussions.
- When you're used to being patted on the back all the time, a devastating counterargument feels like a sucker punch.
verbBack to top
(sucker-punch) [with object] Hit (someone) with an unexpected punch or blow: his father sucker-punched him and knocked him out
More example sentences
- He was sucker-punched, a bottle was broken over his right eye, a knife was plunged through the back of his leather jacket six inches deep into his body and he received 10 other stab wounds.
- I don't mean to sucker-punch every coach's son - just the ones who deserve it.
- On one assignment, I decided to sucker-punch my favorite teacher.
Definition of sucker punch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan