noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A compound which is the chief component of cane or beet sugar.
More example sentences
- A disaccharide containing glucose and fructose units; chemical formula: C12H22O11
- Also, be aware that sugar might be described as sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose and so on.
- The procedure is based on the cleavage of sucrose by invertase to glucose and fructose.
- Glucose, sucrose and fructose are the major soluble sugars found in strawberry fruit.
mid 19th century: from French sucre 'sugar' + -ose2.
More definitions of sucroseDefinition of sucrose in:
- The US English dictionary