Occurring or done quickly and unexpectedly or without warning: a sudden bright flash
More example sentences
- To a schoolboy like myself at the time, they were a sudden flash of lightning that lit a dark landscape.
- Antipsychotic drugs should also be considered in unexplained sudden deaths in psychotic patients.
- However, it was a sudden dip in the dollar's value that spurred speculative activity.
adverbliterary or informal Back to top
(all) of a sudden
- Suddenly: I feel really tired all of a suddenMore example sentences
- All of a sudden, he's being asked to dinner by leading writers and noblemen.
- All of a sudden, the normal drone of the training room was shattered by peals of laughter!
- All of a sudden, you're face to face with a black, hairy spider the size of a beach ball.
on a sudden
- archaic way of saying all of a sudden.
- More example sentences
- With his separation ability, suddenness and speed, Winslow consistently gets open.
- We moved briskly along at the edge of Sloan's Lake, when Fred stopped short with such suddenness that he fairly yanked my arm out of the socket.
- After a few years, when all the richest mining claims had been staked, this small city imploded with equal suddenness, turning almost into a ghost town.