1An action or pass performed by a bullfighter.
- The task of implanting the ‘banderilla’ or dart is left to underlings although at times the bullfighter himself performs this ‘suerte’.
- When entering to kill, he took up his position at the distance required by the qualities of the bull, an undeniable exhibition of his perfect understanding of the suerte, whereas many matadors of star billing had the defect of always placing themselves at the same (long or short) distance from the bull at the supreme moment.
1.1Each of the three stages of a bullfight.
- The final stage of a bullfight is called the suerte / tercio del muerte and ends with the death of the bull.
- The trumpets sound again and it is time for the final suerte, the death of the bull.
- It is nonetheless helpful to know a little beforehand about what you are going to see, such as the fact that the bullfight is divided into three parts called ‘tercios’ or ‘suertes’.
Spanish, literally 'chance, fate'.
Definition of suerte in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.